Samba Brazilian Grill is housed in the historic Woman’s Club Building on Gilman Street. It was constructed by the Woman’s Club of Madison in 1907 and is a Local Historic Landmark. The current restoration project restored the building exterior while constructing a high-end restaurant in the upper levels with an espresso bar and lounge in the lower level. Local architect Melissa Destree facilitated the design.
Below is a small gallery of historic photos of Madisonians. Click on the images to see larger versions.
The Woman’s Club of Madison building was founded on February 22, 1893 by a group of ten women, the Club included members from some of Madison’s most prominent families: Tenney, Atwood, Olin and La Follette. This building was erected for the Woman’s Club of Madison in 1906 and served as a meeting place for lectures, community events and social reform. The organization originally conceived as a literary and social club shifted its focus to woman’s suffrage, social service and philanthropic work as women’s roles in society advanced. The Woman’s Club of Madison was instrumental in building Madison General Hospital, advancing the city’s child education and health services, establishing Madison’s renowned public park system and the modernization of refuse collection.